For many homeowners, there isn’t a better time of the year than summer to be enjoying the sun and warmth from their own yard. During summertime, your home should be a source of happiness, but harsh winters can negatively affect your enjoyment of the season if you don’t prepare for it. If you spend a bit of time on maintenance, your home can stay in great shape for as long as possible.
- Don’t wait to make needed repairs once you find any damage. Putting off the task of replacing or fixing what’s broken in your home can lead to damage spreading or worse, possibly endangering you and your family.
- Do a thorough inspection for wear and tear or other damage to your home, as well as for evidence of any pests or wildlife. Check your property to make sure everything is in it’s place.
- Inspect all of the locks on your doors to make sure they’re still secure. Check all window locks as well to make sure they’re working as they should. Look into your door and window screens as well for any holes.
- Your home’s electrical cords and outlets can be potential fire hazards, so check for loose fitting plugs or frayed wires. Take care not to overload extension cords, power outlets, fuse boxes or other power sources to avoid a potential fire.
- Conduct an inspection of all wood structures for rot or other signs of deterioration, and fix or replace any boards that are loose or rotted.
- Replace or clean your furnace filter to fight fire hazards. Do the same for your dryer lint trap, vent, and the space underneath it.
- Thoroughly inspect the state of your toilet. Check for possible leaks or probles with its float valve and pipe connections. Look into your washing machine hoses as well, and replace those that show signs of wear, cracking or leakage.
- If your home has any recreational equipment, check for potential harmful elements such as sharp edges, rusty bolts, protruding nails and other dangers. Check if the equipment operates properly as well.
No matter what season, your home should be a place of enjoyment and happiness. By taking a few steps to make sure your home is in great condition, it will remain that way for many years to come.
Your home in the summer should be a place of relaxation and enjoyment. By taking steps to properly and regularly maintain your house, it will remain a source of pleasure for years to come.